Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mollysnoot2
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Re: Custom WB
In reply to Mako2011, May 7, 2012

Mako2011 wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

You must shoot the card, then use the eyedropper and synch up the rest of the pics in the series. The four color one for CS5 is good for critical work if you want to get really fussy and use curves. As Kelby says, it's not infallible, if you don't like what the camera throws up you've got to adjust to taste.

Thank you for the clarification. I do prefer to simply set it in camera (have to note when light changes though) vs keep a card in one of the frames to use with eyedropper. I think a "both" approach might be called for if the work is critical. Amazing what one can do now with a simple NEF...good time to be a picture taker Thanks again and have a great day.

Just to further clarify this point further, you can do either and get the same result: set a custom WB in-camera using a grey card, or take a shot including a grey card and adjust with the eye dropper in ACR/LR. Either way, you'll get the same WB reading and you can sync it across multiple images from the same shoot. It's just a matter of taste as to which method you prefer (I often get lazy and just grab a shot of the card as it's quicker than setting custom WB in-camera, but not by much).

A while ago I did some testing, purely out of interest, to see if there was much variation between the in-camera and eye dropper WB readings (values measured in ACR): they were bang-on; the only variation I noticed was in one set of shots where the tint value was different by 1 point (or whatever the scale is for tint!) - and one point is pretty much neglible IMO.

Of course, accurate WB isn't always what you want in an image: like Reilly says, adjust to taste.

M

Mollysnoot2's gear list:Mollysnoot2's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ymmvNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow