Engadget reviews EM5: " a blurry mess "

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Re: It's hard to price.
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 7, 2012

I think it's reasonably priced too, not to mention that Olympus needs revenue so it's rather unlikely to fall anytime soon.

As for the past it's pretty much irrelevant - it's a brand new line, with nothing comparable so far and Olympus clearly said if the E-M5 will be successful then they will continue to add more members to the OM-D family which tells me if they will add anything that will be an E-M7, not a cheaper one, leaving the E-M5 price largely intact for at least a year.

Holding out for an other year because someone is cheap is just downright ridiculous - you either don't really need this camera or you just cannot afford it, otherwise you wouldn't wait a year for this camera...

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Either you can say it is an uber-cam with high frame rates, waterproofing etc, which is what I want, in which case it is, frankly, a bargain, or you can say it is just a small mirrorless cam but a bit better, in which case it is expensive.

I'm delighted by the price...

antoineb wrote:

I doubt that the E-M5 is as bad as Engadget say it is - but of course they raise more attention that way

In my view the E-M5's main issues is that it is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE: where I live it costs about the same as a Nikon D7000, which is also almost as much as a Canon 7D.

Based on what I've read so far the E-M5 comes short of matching these cameras at high ISO, or for continuous shooting with AF. Even if it does better in other areas such as video, or fast single-shot AF.

If Olympus want(ed) to sell large numbers of this camera, and potentially attract new users, thie E-M5 should come at a visible, say 20 percent, discount to such proven (if obsolete) models.

If the past is any guide, then:

(1) the price of the E-M5 will likely drop a lot, and fairly fast. This is what happened to most Olympus m43 cameras.

(2) Olympus will shamelessly release a follow-on, more mature product, possibly less than one year after the E-M5

If I'm right then the best option is simply to hold off, and wait a year or so.

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow