Canon 60 f/2.8 vs. 50 f/1.8

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
If purchasing, get Canon 50mm f1.8 mk 1
In reply to Peter 13, May 7, 2012

I don't know how many times I've given this advise out, but if you can get the mk 1 (Mark 1) version of this lens; it will be more expensive than the newer mk 2 version. The Mk 1 has a smooth manual focus, much better than the present version, is a metal body with metal coupling, it has a depth of field chart so you can use "hyperfocal distance" calculations. Again, it will be more expensive so I find the cheap skates tend to get the newer one; logic will tell you, you can only purchase the mk 1 version on the used market. It will not say mk 1 on the lens, the first version of any lens isn't the mk 1 until the mk 2 comes out, then even without markings, it becomes - by default - the mk 1.

I loaned a buddy of mine the mk 1 version and I know I'll have to pry it out of his hands, he's asked for two extensions so far before returning it. Don't be a cheap skate, purchase the mk 1 version, expect to pay more, you'll be happier; and expect to wait while you search for a copy. I like to purchase from the used market here in Vancouver as I can examine what I am buying before money changes hands.

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Reviews/g_Fifty_versus_fifty/a_Fifties_duel_--_f1.4_vs_f1.8.html

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow