Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,970Gear list
Like?
It's the power supply, stupid
May 7, 2012

One again, after testing every possible component to trace a fault, it's the power supply. I don't know why I never remember to test the PSU first. Some recent examples:

• Intermittant blue-screens on I7 system. It seemed to be memory-related, as it occured after I added memory. Actually it was a dodgy PSU. It wasn't overloaded even with the extra memory, but the extra memory induced occasional dips in voltage.

• A monitor started flickering occasionally. I swapped the monitor for another identical one I had; still the same. I changed the lead, still the same. So it must be the graphics card, right? No, the monitors have external PSUs, and when I swapped monitors, I hadn't swapped PSU!

• A digital photo frame: the picture went very dark. The PSU voltage measured OK, but that was off-load. When you plug the PSU into the photo frame, it's more difficult to measure the voltage, as you can't get at the connector easily. Yep, it was the PSU.

It's happened other times, too.

Moral of the story: check the PSU first. They often go, and are often the cheapest thing to replace. I must remember that
--
Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow