Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tomnorth
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
Folks are missing the point on m4/3
May 7, 2012

I have heard some question the value of the m4/3 system based on the idea that the IQ is not up to full-frame standards. My two systems are a Nikon D700 and a Lumix DMC-GX1. I know that the IQ of my D700 is better than my GX1. But here is a story of a shooting situation where the value of the m4/3 system was shown. I was out hiking in the woods the other night and wanted to travel light. I am coming off a nasty leg injury, so traveling light is of great value to me. I brought my GX1 and three lenses (14-45, 45-200 and 20 f/1.7). The total weight of that kit is about 2.2 pounds. The entire system fits in a small Crumpler bag that is easy to carry. Right at the start of the walk a barred owl flew overhead and landed high up in a tree a bit in front of me. I stopped and quietly changed lenses to the 45-200 and was able to capture the image below, shooting handheld.

I do not own a 400mm lens for my D700. The comparable Nikon lens would cost roughly $1700 and weighs 3 pounds. That one lens weighs more than my entire m4/3 kit and costs more than my entire GX1 kit. Don't get me wrong, I love my D700, but when I am doing a walkabout and want to travel light, there is nothing better than my GX1. The ability to capture images with great image quality while traveling light is tremendously liberating.

BTW, I can see that I need to update the time on my GX1. This image was captured in the early evening.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow