D800 - Not much better then my D300s, what am I doing wrong?I received my D800 but th

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
peterohara
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Re: Not enough meaningful detail
In reply to Rick Knepper, May 7, 2012

Rick Knepper wrote:

I am stuck in a hotel room with weak wifi. I can't seem to find a way to download the full size images if there are any. From your description, my best guess is the details in this particular scene fail to illustrate and impress upon the viewer the benefit of denser pixels at capture not to say that some extrapolation can be made from these shots . Take this testing out into nature with some infinity in the scene and some fine grasses and shrubbery in the near and midfield and you'll see a definite difference.

Studio guys and other professionals want 36 MPs so that they can print large. The rest of us benefit from 36 MPs due to increased detail at capture if there is meaningful detail to be seen which can be seen in reasonably downsized images (needs to be larger than 4x6 know what I'm saying?). The significance of that detail depends on a lot of factors including subject matter and the processer's trained eye and the intended ultimate use the of the image.

Many deride the notion that 36 MPs provides a lot of cropping power but if you hike to where you are going to shoot and can't take every lens you own with you for that perfect framing, then you know that derision comes from folks who don't get out of their bedrooms often. You can easily turn that 24-70 into a 50-150 with acceptable resolution & IQ to spare for the typical 13x19 print on a typical inkjet printer (I don't print on paper any longer by the way so I may be out of touch with what is typical these days but isn't about 150 dpi good enough?).

Rick, Thanks for the response, very much appreciated. Since I created this post I have been informed of a lot of info that I didn't take into account. Using this camera is nothing like using the D300 in a many ways that I wasn't aware of until now. I have already seen some improvements applying the suggestions. I will try your suggestions for more comparisons.
Thanks again,
Pete

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow