Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Buchan-Grant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,941Gear list
Like?
m43 Bokeh
May 7, 2012

I keep seeing (on other forums) examples of how some people still don't realise that m43 can produce beautiful bokeh. They seem to think there's little difference between APS and full frame but a big difference between mft and APS, this is not the case. APS and mft are very close in terms of subject isolation. I reckon its the one biggest reason why many people who by APS dslr's do so. Olympus and Panny should get as many example of great bokeh out into the marketplace!

I also keep reading stuff about these lenses (the 25 and 17 f0.95 Voigtlanders)

Its seems that the aim for a lot of folks is to completely 'obliterate' the background! Well if that's what they want to do, fair enough. For me its about the quailty of the look of the out of focus areas more than the complete absence of any background:) whilst at the same time maintaining a good level of contrast, microcontrast and sharpness at maximum aperture. The fact is I prefer to see a little detail in the background, just beautifully rendered!

certain special lenses, namely

Leica 50mm 1.4 (M)
Leica 35mm 1.4 (M)
Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4 (mft)
Olympus 45mm 1.8 (mft)

each have a delicious 'moist' look to the backgrounds, diffuse enough to make the person/object in focus look very sharp in comparison, but still retaining enough character to render the background in a beautiful way.

Great lenses I have owned which I would not rate as highly as those above for this kind of character include:

Canon 85mm 1.2 (close but no banana)
Canon 50mm 1.2
Canon 50mm 1.4 (not even contrasty wider than f2)
Canon 85mm 1.8 (ditto)
Leica 75mm f2 ASPH APO (a fine lens but bokeh-wise, not up to the ones above)
Panasonic 20mm 1.7

These are some of my favourite lenses of all time but in terms of rendering backgrounds in a beautiful way, for me they don't compare with the 3 lenses I listed at the top
Here are some of my favourite examples of what I'm on about:

PL 25mm 1.4 (mft)

PL25mm 1.4 (mft)

Oly 45mm 1.8

Oly 45mm 1.8

Leica 50mm 1.4 ASPH @f1.4

Leica 50mm 1.4 ASPH @f1.4

-- hide signature --
 Buchan-Grant's gear list:Buchan-Grant's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow