Wow...Kinda Delusional Here; 4/3 is Clearly Dead.

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,843Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow...Kinda Delusional Here; 4/3 is Clearly Dead.
In reply to olyflyer, May 7, 2012

olyflyer wrote:

Rriley wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Mark Chan wrote:

Or when the OM-D Series comes out with a PDAF supporting sensor that allows for 43 lens to work impeccably on the m43 will you EAT YOUR WORDS?

I think you should give up that dream. If it could have been done it would have been done by now.

that isnt a reason,

this technology is only just arriving and Olympus's 8/2010 patent on this was only released this year

Nikon is doing it in the V1, but it is far from DSLR performance. In daylight it is excellent and lightening fast but when the light drops is when I'd like it to perform much better.

yes, and i knew this

I think PDAF from the image sensor is a dead fish. They should improve CDAF instead.

pdAF is cdAF, excepting that it is phased, with multiple sources of data. Rather like that analogy of twin engine aircraft, that they have a statistically higher rate of engine failure, and that the second engine only carries them to the crash site.

After all, it doesn't really matter which type it is used as long as it works well and accurate and no doubt CDAF is more accurate than PDAF. PDAF off the sensor could be used for predicting AF to increase the speed, but I don't think it will be good enough to actually drive the AF single handed. Probably that's why there is no manual control of it in the V1.

Series 1 Nikon suffer the ills of a slower T stop, and their iteration of pdAF both reduces light to the AF photosite and unnecessarily corrupts the maximum available contrast.

Olympus's patent differs from Fuji substantially (or it wouldnt be granted), basing your ideas on a faulted system (as you see it) ought not underline the outcome for every other attempt.

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
???New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow