Canon 50mm 1.4 OR Sigma 50mm 1.4

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Danack
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
Sigma has rounded aperture blades
In reply to dbm305, May 7, 2012

The Sigma has rounded aperture blades which mean that the bokeh is still nice when stopped down as opposed to both the Canon 1.4 and 1.8 but this:

dbm305 wrote:

Same experience here with the sigma: after calibration by Sigma tolerable accuracy at close distances. Anything 3 metres and beyond forget it. Not even consistent so micro adjust won't help.

combined with the Sigma (allegedly) having significant focus shift when stopped down means that I doubt I'll be buying one.

Gotta say there is room in the Canon ecosystem for a modern sharp fast focussing fast but not ultrafast 50mm lens. Either a 50 1.4 II or a 50 2.0 macro

Yeah - it seems to be a massive hole that really needs fixing and has for quite a while. The Canon 1.4 was released in 1993 and the 1.8 mkII even further back in 1990. Although they're both perfectly adequate they're not great, and neither is the 1.2 which is massively overpriced for what it is.

An updated 1.4 with rounded aperture blades, fast auto-focus and not breaking with the slightest of knocks would seem to be an obvious seller. Until then I'll stick with my Canon 1.8 and Minolta 1.2

cheers
Dan

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow