IPAD for high resolution image viewing

Started Nov 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
Re: IPAD for high resolution image viewing
In reply to mlewan, May 7, 2012

mlewan wrote:

You chose to ignore that question and gave a 500 word reply starting with an insult but without any answer to that question or any explanation where you got your information from.

You began your subthread with:

I'm pretty sure that the iPad does not display the full image of a RAW photo imported from an SDcard.

I use raws from a selection of cameras on the iPad and have no trouble viewing the images at 100% (pixel level detail) when required (although newer cameras may have a delay before they are supported by raw capable apps, just like with computers).

So I know from a few years of use that your guess/conclusion is wrong and I wrote a detailed response to help explain where I thought you were getting confused / misinformed / guessed wrong. Including:

"The term iPad is contentious here. What your are actually referring to is the iOS Photo App."

And

However, Apps can (and are) written to use the actual file, rather than the default thumbnail (this is why I say it is not an iPad restriction).
"

But you chose to ignore this correction and continued to write comments like:

My conclusion (guess) is that the iPad simply scales the pictures to the assumed size, regardless of the original resolution.

Again citing iPad limits that don't exist. Hence the observation that you are not listening.

"I'm not seeing any evidence of listening!" really is not an insult. It's just an observation with an exclamation for emphasis. I don't know why people get so sensitive.

A further observation is you seem to keep changing tack; starting with iPads and SD cards and now Photo Stream with iPhones. I thought you wanted to view your raws on your iPad loaded from the CCK. What is it you are really looking for?

Despite all the obfuscation, it really is very straight forward.

There are two types of photos you can load onto iPad.

1) Optimised for fast viewing (iTunes and Photo Stream)

2) Original unaltered file (camera connector kit, built in camera, file transfer, etc)

The Photo Stream FAQ which you have already seen states:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

"What resolution are my Photo Stream photos?

On your Mac or PC, your photos are downloaded and stored in full resolution. On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV, your Photo Stream photos are delivered in a device-optimized resolution that speeds downloads and saves storage space. While actual dimensions will vary, an optimized version of a photo taken by a standard point-and-shoot camera will have a 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution when pushed to your devices."

I think you are reading too much into the quoting of "point & shoot". Many point and shoots are 4 x 3 hence 2048 x 1536, as opposed to 3 x 2 which would be 2304 x 1536 or other (HD, panorama, square) ratios. I think it's just trying to keep the FAQ easy to read for the intended users by not talking about ratios and shortest lengths.

-Najinsky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow