Wow...Kinda Delusional Here; 4/3 is Clearly Dead.

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whoodle
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Wow...Kinda Delusional Here; 4/3 is Clearly Dead.
May 7, 2012

I accidentally clicked on this forum instead of the MFT one (I'm awaiting a silver EM-5), so I thought I'd take a look, as I was thinking about the lack of any talk about the 'regular' 4/3 format the other day.

I know it's hard for people here to address, but it's pretty darn clear to every non-Oly SLR (or old Pany L-series) owner that the Four-Thirds format is just plain dead.

The E-5 came out a year before the scandal, and it was pretty widely panned...here & in other reviews. That's the ONLY 4/3 body in existence other than the 3 y.o. E-620, which I doubt 100 people in North America have purchased in the last 12 months. Panasonic abandoned the format years ago, and most of the original consortium members never made any products for it.

Doesn't that tell you something? Do you really think, given it's precarious position, that Oly is spending a dime on new $$, low-volume bodies when their new EM5 is WAY outperforming the E-5 with a format that is GROWING around the world? Do you really think they can ever match the features (and features per-price-point) of the new Sony A-57/65/77s...it's main rival in the niche SLR market...or the stellar specs & values of the new Canons & Nikons?

APC-S & the Alphas have clearly won the SLR battle, but that's OK, since Oly is VERY well set-up in the mirrorless field that will soon render SLRs obsolete (mirrorless APC-S & full-frame WILL be coming soon...I think that's what Canon is working on, but that's just a guess/rumors).

I'm not trolling...I LOVE Olympus, I'm thrilled they have a hit on their hands (and that I'm a part of that!), and I think they will be making cameras for a long time....just not 4/3 SLRs.

BUT...maybe Oly could (or IS) become the leader by working out a mirrorless body for the current SLR lenses. But that goes against a criticism I have of Oly that they seem 100% geared on the 'retro' styling.

They need to change that & mix in some completely outside the box concepts with advanced ergonomics & design, kinda like they did w/their old iS series & some of the early Camedia digitals.

Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
???New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow