Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,481
Like?
Re: K-01 @ ISO6400....impressive!!!
In reply to Jim King, May 7, 2012

Jim King wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Uh, sorry, but moire is not always easily dealt with. AA filters have a bad reputation around here, but they do serve a useful purpose. Moreover, the blurring effect they introduce can largely be removed by deconvolution sharpening.

With respect, Rob, deconvolution sharpening can restore the illusion of the lost sharpness, but the image will still not be as sharp as it would be without the AA filttration. Lost information can only be estimated, not restored. At least IMHO...

-- hide signature --

Jim King

Jim,

According to Ctein, deconvolution does increase both resolution and sharpness. I consider him to be an extremely reliable authority on subjects such as this.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/04/how-i-made-the-1995-print.html

Whether all of the softening effects introduced by an AA filter can be reversed with deconvolution, I cannot say. There may be some compromise involved, but such is the case with most things in life. Avoiding color moire is certainly a desirable end. Like Ctein, I use Topaz InFocus (deconvolution only). I like to apply it to TIFFs immediately after raw conversion. The results are pretty impressive.

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow