First XPro-1 shots from an M9 enthusiast.

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ashwinrao1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,717
Like?
My take....much in agreement with Tocatta47
In reply to jpartlo, May 7, 2012

Great great question...One that I asked myself a few times over...why ever "duplicate" systems?

Well, my answer is that while the camera's form factor appears to duplicate the M system, it is both similar and vastly different than the M9 and its predecessors, and I have found that I enjoy each for its merits...

Pros for the XPro-1

1. Layout and handling: great, just like the M: I love the RF formfactor, and while the XPro-1 isn't really a rangefinder, it feels like one in hand and inspires me in much the same ways. That does mean something in terms of my creativity. It's also a smallish system, so it works well not to startle people (helps that it's all black, which I love)

2. ISO: Kicks the pants off the M9 in this department. I am waiting for RAW support, but the JPEG engine is great

3. OOC JPEG's: This is one camera where I have been thrilled with JPEG output. While I look forward to RAW, and shooting JPEG's without hesitation using standard Fuji profiling

4. Hand-off factor: The fact that I can hand this camera to a friend to take a snap, compared to the M9, which has a far larger learning curve, and this is a huge factor for social gatherings. With the M9, I am inevitably (and often by choice) behind the lens and camera, and with the XPro-1, I find myself handing the camera off more.

5. IQ: Close to the M9 in most, if not all respects. Fuji really must be applauded for their XTrans sensor. It needs to find its way into more cameras, period. M lenses have a bit more character than the Fujinon counterparts, but that's not to take anything away from the Fuji. The50 summilux asph is a favorite lens, and the 35 Fujinon comes close, in terms of sharpness and OOF creaminess. The 35 mm native focal lengh adds some distortion, but you get closer focusing.

Cons

1. Cropped sensor: Lose some depth of field, but in real life, as long as you make the focal length adjustment (18=28, 35=50, 60 = 90), it's no biggie, not a deal breaker.

2. Shutter lag: Gosh, I wish Fuji fixed this...not sure if it's possible, but I'd rather see and snap rather than see, wait a few precious milliseconds, and then snap

3. SLOW AF: Improveed with firmware, but compared to the competition (even the middling NEX series AF), the Fuji is slow to focus. It's better in daylight, but can be horrendous in mixed low light....If Fuji could do one thing for the camera, it's improve AF. If they could do 2 things, AF and shutter lag

4. Inaccurate frame lines, and hence AF, with Optical viewfinder, when subjects are close. I find the OVF to be innacurate for closer subjects, and given that my box isn't where the image is, AF often locks on the wrong subject. Using the EVF helps this

5. EVF slow refresh rate....the NEX is far better with its EVF...this is readily noticeable at night, where the Fuji's lag really shows up.

Overall, I am sticking with the Fuji over the OM-D (and even the NEX-7) due to the file qualities. I can live with the occasional quirks given that the IQ is something to write home about. It's as close to the Leica M system as I have ever seen. Sure, it forces a new way of shooting to cope with its quirks, but if Fuji's history of support is anything to write about, they will keep tweaking the XPRo-1 until it's great. And like has been said before, the body's not M9 priced, and may thus be somewhat easier to replace/upgrade wihtout burning a hole in the wallet and/or the stomach....with time, and popularity, the system will evolve to provide the sensor and lenses with a better body to provide the system more maturity...that's my hope and suspicion, at least....
--
Ashwin Rao
My blog: http://photos-ash.blogspot.com
My Flickr Sets: http://flickr.com/photos/ashwinrao1/sets/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow