Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tamati
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
One lens for beginner semi-pro?
May 7, 2012

Hi all I am looking for some advice please. I am starting off part time photography work having done some family shoots, studio head shots and pregnancy photos with speedlights/studio setting, and lots of community events. I am still learning with every shoot but my clients have been happy with the results. I have been using equipment loaned from my employer but need to become independent and get my own gear.
I have:
Canon EOS 7D body only
Occasional access to canon 50mm 1.8 and canon 18-200mm superzoom
580exII flash and couple of cheap manual flashes for speedlight work
Light stands / couple of softboxes and pixel wireless flash trigger

BIG Question: What is the ONE lens that I should get to start me off. My budget is not huge - US $800. I am guessing that my money making work will be more family groups / headshots / possible wedding work. At present the canon 18-135 seems to around the price range, with a good range of length to use in a variety of settings... the 15-85 and 24-105 canons are also popular but are getting too pricey

Any recommendations (with some reasoning if possible) would be greatly appreciated
Cheers!

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow