significant difference between 60D & 40D?

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,268Gear list
Like?
Re: significant difference between 60D & 40D?
In reply to rebel99, May 7, 2012

watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQLwdD9BstY

The live view is much better and the level feature comes in handy. Also the 63 point evaluative dual zone exposure is fabulous. The off camera flash in the 60d is really good.

Get the 15-85 4 stop IS for the 60d. Take that instead of your 17-40. I'd also take a 100L macro. I also carry a second camera - 500HS for me.

with your gear - I'd sell the 40d to get to the 60d + 15-85 IS. It is a delight with LR3.6 and lens correction feature and also the new DPP which has the lens in it's new feature

rebel99 wrote:

i appreciate what your trying to say and i agree with most of it, however, i do have a 1dmk4 and a 5D that i don't want to take over there for many reasons, and i do have a plethora of "L" and zeiss lenses but for this kind of travel, i would like to keep the weight light and i think the 2 lenses i am taking (17-40mm f4L and 70-200 f4 L IS) are pretty decent. i don't know if it is worth it to invest in 60D or just take the work horse 40D. i was clear in my op that it is the IQ that i am interested in and not the cute features, although the workability of higher iso in 60D is significant IMO. that is the reason i was hoping to get the opinion of people that have worked with both cameras and know about their experience. once again, thank you all for sharing your opinions!

cheerz.

california_sunset wrote:

For me this question comes down to how are you shooting? If you are shooting landscapes and landmarks and you have time to carefully compose the 40D is going to cover your needs even for large prints. If you find you want to crop severely or need better high ISO performance it may be worth looking at the 60d. And of course if you value the video and screen differences. From your post it sounded like you were very satisfied with the 40d and it has served you well... so I'll just throw this out there... for the same money as a 60d you could get a mint 40d backup plus and nice lens of your choice. I always try to stress to people that bodies depreciate rapidly and there is always a new one around the corner... but good lenses hold their value and can open up more than a new body in many cases... so if you don't find your current body limiting spend the money on glass instead. To be honest I have used the 40d extensively but the 60d only a few times... so I want to disclose that. I think the 60d is a really nice body... but if you are focused on still photography and you like the 40d I would place my money elsewhere... glass, travel, fine wine... etc.
--
Dan Scheele
Hermosa Beach, California, USA

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow