Am I crazy getting a D300 now?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,687Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I crazy getting a D300 now?
In reply to elihusmails, May 7, 2012

elihusmails wrote:

I have an offer to pick up a D300 and grip for $800. I feel this is a good price as I know the person I am buying it from and the camera is very well taken care of. I currently have a D5000 and looking to upgrade to get better AF, a motor in the body, better flash system and better controls. I think the D400 (or whatever it turns out to be) will be out of my price range.
I shoot mostly family shots, my kids' ice hockey and landscapes.
Any comments you may have will be welcomed.
Thank you.

Tough decision.

The D300 will indeed give you the improvements you are looking for, and it will be a step up from the D5000. It will be about the same in the ISO department, so you will still struggle with ice hockey.

We are all hoping the D400 will be even better, but no one knows if it will be announced , or when it will be announced and at what price, but it will certainly cost more than $800.

Are you currently getting good results with the ice hockey pictures? If not, you might want to consider investing in a fast lens. The reasoning is that if you spend the money on a D300, you will likely still lust after a D400. If you spend the money on a lens, you can benefit from it now, and still use that same lens it if you ever get a D400.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow