D800E vs Leica S2: a detailed comparison

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ming Thein
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916Gear list
Like?
Re: We are at the level of splitting fine hairs.
In reply to BobYIL, May 7, 2012

I think while it shows just how far FF cameras have come, it also shows that MF can go a lot further - so I don't necessarily see it as off putting, more like a wait-and-see game. I'm not an electronic engineer so I have no idea why a large CMOS would be any harder to produce than a large CCD - I can only imagine it'll be done eventually.

The product/ macro work I do requires high magnification and movements, which I'll never be able to get on MF - which is why the D800 opens up new doors for me.

Who knows, we might see 30x45 sensors or 645 sensors with 2.5um pixel pitch at some point...

BobYIL wrote:

Ming Thein wrote:

Don't get me wrong: image quality from both cameras are superb. There are differences, but they're slight and probably will pass by unnoticed unless you're looking. The S2 is one small notch closer to perfection than the D800E, but then again for 10x the price, you'd expect it to be. I don't think it makes sense to buy in its present form until we see a newer (i.e. at least more comparable generation) sensor.

Do you believe in any hope for an MF-size CMOS sensor, at least within the foreseeable future? I don't... Also, following the D800/E's become widely available and begin to be employed by many professionals in studios I wonder if the production of some lower-res MF sensors (around 40MP) would be feasible due to lower demand.. These professional (including you certainly :D) are far more creative in employing the new "tools" than we think them as to be. (Think about after seeing your review how many pros intending to buy the S2 started to scratch their heads..)
--
BobYIL

-- hide signature --

Leica Camera brand ambassador and NPS member.
Portfolio and photographic musings at http://www.blog.mingthein.com

Ming Thein's gear list:Ming Thein's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X Leica S2 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow