Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maflynn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,983
Like?
Obsessing over lens selection
May 6, 2012

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I'm heading out to FLA next week and I'm looking to see what lenses work best. I'll be doing DisneyWorld and other parks with my 2 6 year old girls. TBH, I'm not worried that much weather sealing, as I'm generally careful with my equipment so that's not a factor.

I have the 12-50 kit lens and that's ok. Its not as sharp as I think I would prefer. I usually have 20mm pancake and I love that lens. I think thinking of getting the Oly 45mm prime as well. That should cover my needs fairly well and I can take 40-150 for those occasions where I'll need more reach.

The thinking is for me, is I'd rather have two sharp, fast lenses that cover 80% of my needs then one 12-50 lens that is mediocre in terms of speed and sharpness. I took my OMD out today with the 12-50 and there's some lack of sharpness where I thought it ought to be tack sharp. I also saw some chromatic aberrations in bright sunlight reflecting off objects. I'm not sure if the 45mm would suffer from this.

Looking at how I shot today and in the past, I'm usually in the 20mm range or the 40mm range most of the time.

Am I over-analyzing this stuff and I should just be content with what I have (the 12-50 kit lens)

Thoughts/opinions?

Another option is the Pany 14-45 which gives me a little more coverage and from what I've read sharpness as well.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow