D800 - Not much better then my D300s, what am I doing wrong?I received my D800 but th

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
peterohara
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Re: D800 - Not much better then my D300s, what am I doing wrong?I received my D800 bu
In reply to Dré de Man, May 6, 2012

Dré de Man wrote:

If you zoom in 100% on a D800-file, you should be able to see a lot more details than on a D300s-file, almost twice as much. If you don't, you're doing something wrong. (With the D800E it's really 2x as much.)

My impression after the first test of a D800 and a D800E was the opposite: I thought the D700 I was comparing it to, was broken. Resolution of the D800 is a lot higher (almost 2x) but this camera not only shows more details in your pictures, it also reveals your technical weaknesses.

Here I don't agree with Scott Oberle: you should always think of technique and the more you know of it, the more fun working with a DSLR is (once you know it all, you don't have to think). Time to work on your technique, I would say. A tripod e.g. at 1/8s is not enough, you need a sturdy tripod, use mirror lock up (MUP) and use a cable release. Time to work on AF, think about the right aperture (although at f/11 you'll still get much sharper pics than with a D300s), rethink shutter speeds with regards the focal length (1/(2*focal length)), look at sharpening in PP, work on DR in PP etcetera. If you don't do this, you'll always get the quality you had with your D300s but not always the quality you paid for. This is even more true for the D800E.

If I were you, I would never send the camera back. On the other hand: you'll make one person on the waiting list happy if you do

Best regards,
Dré

Dre, Thanks for the info. First off I haven't used camera lock up on any of my other shots before (ignorance) and with this camera I guess it is more important that ever. And I will definitely be a lot more conscientious with everything else that you mentioned. Thanks very much for the guidance

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow