Question about MFA procedure

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ppage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566Gear list
Like?
Re: Question about MFA procedure
In reply to Dale Buhanan, May 6, 2012

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Yes, it would -- unless the lens is really out.

You realize that you are into the diffraction range at f11 though don't you? I think your pics will look sharper with more than adequate DOF shooting f8. That is as high as I like to go for landscapes. You get a bit more detail that is a bit sharper that way.

Yes. I usually don't shoot at F11, but I have on occasion and seem to have gotten away with it. I have the 50D, not the 7D, so it might be slightly more forgiving with respect to diffraction.

Landscape shots rarely require MFA. What really need it is protraiture. When you want the lead eye in sharp focus so the eyelashes are crisp and clear... MFA makes all the difference in the world.

And birds!! I did some testing of my 100-400 yesterday and it seems to be spot on with no MFA adjustment required. If would be interesting to be able to experiment 'in the field' so to speak; too bad the MFA doesn't show up in the EXIF info. Now THAT would be handy. In any case, I suspect that any lack of sharpness right now is probably due more to poor technique on my part than on my equipment.

Peter

ppage's gear list:ppage's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow