Aperture Users with Nikons, Do You Use Nixon Software Also?

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
MrMojo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,144
Like?
Re: Aperture Users with Nikons, Do You Use Nixon Software Also?
In reply to kay4401, May 6, 2012

I use NX2 and Aperture. Aperture is primarily for sorting and cataloging images while NX2 is for editing. I also do some editing in Aperture where I also have Topaz plugins installed.

I prefer NX2 because it is the only editing program that retains all the in-camera settings. Other editing programs retain only the white balance setting. If you like what happened with your camera settings then editing is a snap. But if you want to change a camera setting or delete it altogether it's right there in NX2 to fiddle around with...

Those NIK Control Points are awesome if you are like me and don't want to spend a lot of time messing around with layers and masks in Photoshop (which I also own but is very rarely used). You can easily make edits to an entire image or edit parts of an image. If you have an image that requires multiple edits to specific areas NX2 makes it very easy to do.

Some folks complain that NX2 isn't very "intuitive" but I think that they are simply accustomed to Photoshop, which is as counter-intuitive as it gets IMO. Using Control Points is as easy as point-drag-click. And NX2 is available for around $130 at Amazon and other retailers.

If you haven't tried it yet download the NX2 demo and give it a try. I also recommend getting "Capture NX2: After The Shoot." You will be up and running with NX2 in no time.

An alternative to NX2 is NIK Viveza which has the same Control Points and costs around $100. But be sure to compare the programs because if I remember correctly NX2 is more powerful than Viveza and Viveza doesn't retain your camera settings.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow