It pays to profile ACR for the E-M5

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?
Re: It does help.
In reply to farcus, May 6, 2012

farcus wrote:

I profiled my camera and, you are right, it does help. I can see a definite difference, both in your posts and the results with my profile. Overall the colors are truer, but I too find the red sightly much (not at all bad, but noticeable). I wonder why.

I'm not sure why this happens. I've noticed a similar bias in the custom profiles I've made for all my cameras, and it seems to happen regardless of whether I use the Adobe DNG Profile Editor or the Xrite Colorchecker Passport. It also occurs for the profiles I make for RPP using its built-in profiling facility.

I thought initially it might be due to the limited number of color patches on the CC24 boards. So I got the Colorchecker SG board that has additional colors, including more shades of orange. You cannot use this board with the Adobe Profile Editor, but you can use it with the RPP profiler. I found the differences to be minimal, and the slightly pumped-red persisted. Iliah Borg, as I recall, was not that big on the SG checker. He thought its semi-gloss finish made it more difficult to prevent glare from corrupting the results and that you could do as well with the 24 color charts. I have found nothing to contradict his assessment.

What lighting were you using to make your targets? I have always used sunlight an hour or two away from meridian. That seems to work very well on the whole, but perhaps there are better lightings to help tone down the red response. I'll have to look into this. I would suspect Iliah has a good idea about this.

I haven't tried "untwisting" the Adobe Standard profile. I'm not very into what's involved there. But I don't think I'll need it now that I have the custom profile.

Well, that's one of those chores that can seem intimidating at the outset, but becomes less and less so as you undertake it. If you've done any Unix, you'll figure it out quickly, but even if not there is a usage file that tells what you need to enter into your terminal program to run the application. I don't know if you're using a Mac or a PC, but there are separate binaries for the two platforms in the folder named binary. Drag the one you need up to the base directory level and just follow the directions given in the usage file.

Thanks for your efforts.

My pleasure. I'm glad they've benefited someone.
--
gollywop

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow