D800E vs 5D II (an unbiased review - 0.1)

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,804
Like?
Re: D800E vs 5D II (an unbiased review - 0.1)
In reply to joger, May 6, 2012

joger wrote:

As previously indicated I got my hands on one of the first D800E in Germany.

So far I can only report mission incomplete since there are too many conflicting quality results - in fact the 5D II wins hands down in almost all images I've shot except for dynamic range where I can clearly see a visible advantage for the D800E in the highlights.

Certainly DR is on of the main advantages of the D800.

Interestingly the 200 mm on the D800E are shorter then the 200 mm on the 70-200 from Nikon

The Nikon focus system "breathes" on the 70-200 due to it's optical design. At close focus distances, the focal length becomes reduced. It is not bad - it is just unexpected The Canon 70-200 F4 is a very fine zoom lens - certainly better than the Canon 70-200 F2.8 or the Nikon 70-200 F2.8.

You might choose more similar lenses for the comparison - the 100 macro lenses from both manufacturers are equally good, the 50mm F1.4 lenses are equally bad (etc.)

From what I've seen on the D800E has many knobs and buttons - for my taste a bit too many but this is something I would accept if the image quality is superior.

I like useful buttons
--
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow