I must be missing something

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,651Gear list
Like?
Welcome to the art of photography
In reply to martijnhh, May 6, 2012

martijnhh wrote:

Guess I naively expected too much miracle; But I've been playing and comparing around some more and found that I easily like 50% of the C3 shots over the ixus.. and that was before I tried out jpg+raw & lightroom!

I think you got the right message out of this... but it isn't about raw workflows.

Honestly, there are times when my 3-year-old cell phone's 2MP camera can do just as well as my NEX-7, e.g., shooting in good lighting for a straightforward image to be displayed smallish on a WWW page. In fact, sometimes the cell phone can do a tad better because it has a tiny sensor that gives more depth of field... oh yeah, and it is with me even more often than my NEX is. The really big issue usually isn't technical image quality.

The benefit to my NEX-7 is that the probability I can get it to capture the image I want is much higher than with my cell phone or even a high-end small-sensor compact camera. Put another way, point-and-shoots are getting better all the time at recording what you literally see, but the fancier cameras help you easily and reliably create what you envision. Photography is art.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow