Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Barney, Ken and me=Full of SHT
May 6, 2012

I refer to the AF controls on the D800/E. There has been so much negative about this that I was a little surprised with a revelation I had yesterday. The AF controls are BETTER!!!

Some of you who were like me are going to bow up and argue the point. I did in a thread, and some guy told me I was full of it and why. I blew it off. Yesterday while using my E for the first time I was focused on a nesting bird, waiting for movement, and with my left eye I saw a Roseate rise up. I pressed the AF button and rolled the wheel, still with my eye to the viewfinder. Walla...AF-C 21 Point. Don't know why I did it, but it seemed automatic. Then it occurred to me that I could also roll between 21 point and 11 point this way, no menu.

Barney Britton complained about it in a review, and good old Ken R has indicted the camera because of this. I'm an amateur. Those two guys are supposed to be pros. I've taken less than 100 photos with my new camera but thousands with D700, and I stumbled on it instinctively. It never happened with the D7000, and I can only guess that it is because of the smaller body making holding it a different mechanic.

Anyway, the Roseate was way the he11 out there, so it isn't as if I got a million dollar photo. But I like to study these birds, and at 100% crop I got something I like. Notice that it is turning with its head cocked the other way. Beautiful. I'm sold.
D800E, 300mm f4 AFS, TC14EII, AF-C 21 Point

Roy

Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow