D800E sports pic with 70 200VR I

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,710
Like?
1 milion of it's finest
In reply to TOF guy, May 6, 2012

Hi TOF,

I got my last 70-200mm VR-I lens from Nikon Osaka, that one is out of the last batch produced. The lens seem to have been updated 4 times. This was explained to me, externally it is not noticeable. What was exactly updated was not explained to me.

I had an earlier version, I feel the earlier version is a tat warmer in color. I don't have it anymore, so I can't compare directly. I know that Nikon changes coatings regularly so it might be well possible.

By the way, when I received my second one, the Nikon employee told me the lens sold more than 1 million copies world wide.

Michel

TOF guy wrote:

Looks pretty good to me.

IMO this lens has undergone a silent update sometimes in the middle of its life cycle. I've seen pictures taken with this same lens on FF with very strong vignetting at f2.8, not to mention very soft corners, at all focal lengths (on your shot the corners are not in the focusing plane so it's hard to say. But vignetting should be there). That's with lens bought near the introduction to market. And barely any vignetting on pictures taken at same settings but with lens bought near the end of its shelf life. The only possible explanation is a change in optical formula sometimes in-between. I assume when Nikon decided it would get into the FF market.
--
Thierry

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow