Panasonic Lumix DMC-3D1 short review... part 2

Started Mar 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
electrosim2001
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-3D1 short review... part 2
In reply to Keith, May 6, 2012

Keith wrote:

• don't get the need for an on/off button when the camera won't turn on if you don't have the sliding lens cover open in the front...

This feature is potentially useful for three reasons that I can think of.

1. When out and about videoing or taking pics, it saves keep using the sliding panel that could wear out in time. Leave the panel open and just use the on/off button.

2.It is also easier I find to power on and off with the single button press rather than moving the camera down to use both thumbs where I need to hold the camera in a different position to perform the on/off action. Having to change holding positions also gives rise to potential mishap like dropping the camera.

3.If Cycloptical decide to produce an adaptor for the camera it will be possible to fit one over the camera with the panel left open and it will still be possible to switch the camera on and off.

Not related to the above, but separately, another useful design feature is the camera's mics' postions, on top of the camera where it is possible to fit a furry windjammer.

I think that the one design feature where Panasonic did drop the ball is the LED flash siting ( centre of the two lenses ). I took some pics in a ten-pin bowls hall where the lighting was quite gloomy, and mostly where the flash fired, it caused a streak of finger-shaped white-out on the right-hand pictures. The 'finger' extended from the top of the right-hand side of the right-hand picture frames to about three-quarters way down the pictures. On one pic the white streak appeared on the left-hand picture.

On one or two pics there were brightly coloured orbs (in 3D too which is worse than 2D orbs ) where the flash picked up dust particles.

As the camera is very small in size I am not sure whether a re-siting of the LED would have made much difference, but further away from the lenses might have helped. I am surprised that this hasn't been mentioned by others, guessing that this isn't just a fault on my camera.
Any-one else had this problem?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow