Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whoodle
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Who Truly Trusts 'Weather Sealing'?
May 6, 2012

I guess weather sealing is a nice feature, particularly for pros (mostly sports). But now, just because more high-end cameras & high end lenses have been coming out sealed, amateurs here & elsewhere are talking about it like it's a requirement.

C'mon...how many OMD-type photographers are going to keep shooting with a 'naked' camera/lens when it starts raining, or take it out on their speedboat to shoot your kids tubing, despite constant bow spray? Methinks people are still gonna run inside, frenetically search for a towel and/or switch to their cheap, but sealed, point&shoot camera rather than expose their $$ new camera...however well sealed...to situations where exposure to rain/moisture is likely.

What do you think? I doubt anyone will be taking greater risks with their sealed cameras than they did with, say a GH2 or a Canon Rebel, except...again...for pros who HAVE to shoot in the rain sometimes. But even then, I think you're still gonna see protective 'coats' on the cameras/lenses you see on the sidelines of messy games.

So the question is, are you/me playing into the mfgs hands by paying a significant premium for features we don't really use? Or is this something we really need?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow