Trying Out The Canon EFS 17-55.

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,268Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EFS 17-55 ~ EFs 15-85 problem or?
In reply to Michael Thompson, May 5, 2012

your answer: lightroom 3.6 and shoot raw and use the lens correction and sharpness slider and use up to iso400

and use in combo with 35L which the combo will be better than 17-55

Michael Thompson wrote:

The thing is the EFs 15-85IS is perfect on my 7D its size and weight could not be better and the broad focal range (24mm ~ 135mm equiv) is ideal as a good walk around zoom.

i should add i sold my other UWA EFs lens and this is now my only main 7D lens i wanted a simple one lens do it all setup ( the 15mm 24mm eqiv WA is enough for me.

but having owned the 7D and 15-85 both now for 2 years i do realise the lens is limiting my 7D 18MP sensor, by this i mean in IQ sharpness?

would really like a zoom or walk about prime that is excellent in IQ sharpness, i know a 7D cannot match a FF 5D2 but im sure it can get close with the right lens?

Michael.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it if you are satisfied with the images that the 15-85 is giving you. By all accounts, as long as you have a good copy, it is a fine lens and still one of the best EF-S lenses you can get for your 7D. Yes, the 17-55 will clearly be better in low light situations, where it can open up to F2.8 throughout the range, but it certainly is not as wide or as long as the 15-85, which may have the advantage of being a more versatile walk-around or travel lens. In terms of sharpness, there really isn't a lot of difference between them, certainly nothing that can't be bridged with a little post-processing, which I'm assuming you're already doing anyway.

-- hide signature --

Eos 1v Film SLR now covered in dust, sad but true.....

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow