Which MacBook Pro for Lightroom 4

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,523Gear list
Like?
Re: Which MacBook Pro for Lightroom 4
In reply to PicturEd, May 5, 2012

FYI, Aperture 3 is perfectly usable on my 2007 Santa Rosa 2.4GHz MBP with 4GB RAM and an SSD. And, it's only $80.

My biz partner (we do high-volume event work), who has used LR and Ap since version 1 and prefers Ap, says LR 4 is hideously slow. He recently got a Nikon D800E, which is not yet supported by Aperture, so he had to use LR for a recent job. He says LR takes 2-3 minutes to export a single JPEG. With hundreds of images to export, he is NOT happy. This is on a Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core with 16GB of RAM, an SSD boot drive, and RAW files on a fast RAID 0. Aperture takes only a few seconds each to export my heavily adjusted 1DsII files which are, granted, half the size of the D800E's. If you tried Ap 2 and thought it was slow, I encourage you to try Ap 3. It is orders of magnitude faster at exporting. And, the brush-on adjustments are the bee's knees.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow