Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,284Gear list
Like?
Shoot the Supermoon - best settings?
May 5, 2012

I've never done night sky shots, so I'm curious what settings to try. I'll be using a tripod mounted E-510, E-620 and E-PM1 (yes, I like to experiment, makes my wife laugh at me ;)!) along with the 70-300mm and 40-150mm lenses.

I've noted the following recommended settings in scanning the manuals:

1. Tripod mount, IBIS off, spot meter on

2. Manual mode, bulb setting to allow leaving the shutter open

3. Use high ISO: I've found 800 is high for the E-510 and E-620, 1600 for the E-PM1 if I want to retain detail and avoid excessive noise. Dare I go higher, and are there any benefits given increased noise?

4. Noise reduction on due to high ISO, but what level? I typically leave it off or have it on low

5. I'm assuming Auto WB and Natural picture mode

In using the bulb setting, I don't have a remote control, so can I use the timer to trigger the shutter, then press it to complete the shot? About how long should I leave it open? And this would seem to introduce shake by my manually pressing the shutter button to end the shot, any way to avoid this? I assume I can't use IS since tripod mounted.

Other options are to use the Night Scene mode, or possibly the Program mode.

It will be fun using the E-620 with its illuminated buttons, but then, the SCP illuminates settings on all 3 cameras in any case.

My goal, to get some decent photos and not find later that the just-for--fun shots I'll inevitably take with my TZ5 and iPhone4s on night scene setting come out better ;). Hopefully the clouds clear out.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow