G12 replacing old yet somewhat reliable SD630

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,099
Like?
SD630 is a tough act to folloow
In reply to KOOOOBA, May 5, 2012

KOOOOBA wrote:

This may be an incredibly stupid question but would the upgrade from a 6 year old SD630 be THAT MUCH more drastic in terms of quality?

My Mother has a six year old SD630 and it continues to work quite well. I keep wondering if she would gain anything if we got her a newer camera and I really don't think she would.

Yeah, it doesn't have image stabilization, but that doesn't seem to be an issue--she doesn't take blurred pictures.

Since my Mother got the SD630, my wife has gone through a Sony H5, Nikon S50, Panasonic ZS7, and (currently) a Canon SX230. I have gone through (Canon) S45, G7, G9, 300D, 20D, 400D, and 60D. The DSLRs produce higher quality images, because of the larger sensor. And when I use high end lenses. But the intrinsic image quality of any of the P&S class cameras (including the G series), isn't appreciably better than the SD630.

When it is used as a P&S. I can squeeze a bit more IQ out of my G9 because it shoots RAW and I take pains to manually optimize settings for difficult shooting circumstances. But this is more of a photo technique issue than it is a camera quality issue.

But if you want to improve your photographic skills, then something like a G12 or S100 is good, because there are more external controls to adjust shooting parameters.

But you want to improve your technique, you would get a much better step up with a DSLR. Or a mirrorless EVIL camera (if small size is an issue.)

I'm on a somewhat of a budget and money is tight these days for me (anyways) but I think I'm due.

G9 on eBay....? Or a DSLR on eBay. I recently sold my 20D on eBay and only got $165 for it. There are a lot of older decent cameras that don't sell for much these days.

But the SD630 is a classic. Keep it.

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow