Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom_Bruno
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
Awright! Got it!!!
May 5, 2012

Just picked up my D800 yesterday afternoon, at the local Ritz Camera store. In just 2 weeks after I ordered it, I got the tracking number saying that it was shipped. Wow! First impressions are two: 1 - It's a wonderful, great camera! 2 - I hope I can tweak my skills sufficiently to get the most out of it.

The folks at Ritz told me when I ordered it that the D800 wasn't in their warehouse. Instead, it was to be drop-shipped directly from Nikon to their individual store. In other words, I got the equivalent of an NPS member's priority, without being NPS. The reason this happens is not because of any marketing priority, but the USA fairness in trade import and distribution laws. In order to prevent the very big stores from monopolizing a hard to get product, there are rules and limits to how many that can be shipped to a given retail merchant. Because Ritz has independent stores in many places, each individual store gets a share of the units, without having to wait for the big guys' orders to be filled.

For any of you who are frustrated, suffering like the other whipped peons on the B&H queue, you might try wandering into a Ritz outlet and giving this a try. Of course, if a hundred guys go to one store and put orders, it'll slow them down -- but maybe not as much as B&H.

The final thing now is to finally get around to calling B&H and having them cancel my order and credit my charge card. I'm pre-ordered with B&H on 2/7, the first day, at 9:30 AM EST. Not a whisper of hope ever came from that wretched place. B&H, with their arrogant disdain of customers, has lost more than my one camera sale. Already, I have purchased extra lenses for the D800, the MB-D12 grip, spare batteries, two bags, several filters and etc., for about $7K - none of it at B&H. For the past 30 years I bought everything from them, it must amount to well over $100K in all, figuring they'd somehow be glad, or appreciate my business. Nope. I'm through with them. I get eager service almost anywhere else, stores where the folks want my business and try to make me satisfied with them so I'll come back. They smile. They remember my name. And they deliver the goods. It's much nicer.

Oh, one last thing. No cat picture yet. Sorry. As I write this, the very first charge is going onto the battery. But I promise I'll get to it.

Best luck and good fortune to all, with your new gear.

-- hide signature --

Tom B

Tom_Bruno's gear list:Tom_Bruno's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D800E Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow