Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
dick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,433Gear list
Like?
Re: Intense! [nt]
In reply to Pimpleportrait, May 5, 2012

Pimpleportrait wrote:

Hi,

Just wondering, does your camera have a bracketing feature. While your composition here is nice, the flames seems to be a bit washed out. I am thinking that with a bracketing feature, you could have caught this with a higher shutter speed.

You could still "Rescue" the flames in Photoshop, just create another layer, reducing the exposure, then using the brush tool with a soft brush to darken up the flames in certain areas.

Shooting flames as intense as this, is a tricky business. I have tried often and have often failed. Good Luck.

While I appreciate your well-intentioned advice, if I had the luxury of the time it takes to set it to bracketing or adjust any other settings, Kevin would have gotten water in the line and the fire would have been darkened down. That's why I set my camera to P mode and the ISO to AUTO3200 and let the camera decide the other settings. It has worked pretty well since my first fire photo in 1952.

If the flames look a bit overexposed, so be it. I'd rather have an imperfect shot than no shot, wouldn't you?
--
Dick
http://dickh.zenfolio.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow