Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
TonyinJapan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 short impressions
In reply to Raist3d, May 5, 2012

Raist3d wrote:

Panny Leica 25mm F1.4

• Phenomenal, great bokeh, very sharp. Even wide open.

• EM5 seems to have little problem taking advantage of it (fast AF, good focus, good color rendition etc.)

• Color / micro contrast reminds me of exactly the bigger brother- the Panny Leica 25mm F1.4 4/3rds.

I am going to have another go with the camera in the lower light conditions on the streets I like to go around shooting at. I am interested at this point for three potential reasons:

-Eliminate using two cameras and use one instead (q + K-5-> one EM5).

-More accurate AF (K-5 isn't bad in good light and particularly after I calibrated some of my lenses but sometimes there are some misses)

-The fact apparently this camera can fit in my pocket without a lens. While not a Q there (the Q fits in my pocket with its prime in place), it's nice to have an image quality in the middle towards the higher end and still able to make the camera vanish.

I sold my office’s K-5 and a few lenses (inc. Limited 31mm f1.8) to fund for the OMD, plus Pana-Leica 25mm f1.4.

I am very glad I did.

Although the K-5 had great high-ISO and DR, some things convinced me to give up on the Pentax.

1. Pentax AF in low-light. It didn’t give me complete confidence and became frustrating as I missed important shots.

2. IBIS of the Pentax. Didn’t do hardcore testing, but I felt it wasn’t as effective as Oly’s system.

3. In-camera jpegs. I am a jpeg shooter, and although the Pentax was quite good, it never quite reached what I liked about the Oly jpeg engine – the colors seemed more balanced and nice.

4. Pentax primes. I heard the legendary status of the 31mm. Tried it out. It was good but newer primes like the Pana-Leica 25mm is better in my opinion.

Now that I have had the OMD for a a few weeks now, I feel the DR and high-ISO capabilities are not that far behind the K-5, but with the much better AF, and, in my opinion, the more effective IBIS of the Olympus, I feel much more confident shooting in low-light.

The only problem I have with the OMD and 25mm is the rattlesnake sound it makes which is sometimes annoying. It doesn’t do it on the GX1. The sound is even more pronounced on older Olympus models.

Regards,
Tony

TonyinJapan's gear list:TonyinJapan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOL!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow