d800 lens: 50mm f1.4 or f1.8? D or G???

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marc S
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?
Re: d800 lens: 50mm f1.4 or f1.8? D or G???
In reply to Joy07, May 5, 2012

Joy07 wrote:

I have also read that the Sigma 50mm has better bokeh.

I am now leaning towards the Nikkor 35mm f1.8 Checked it out at the local camera shop today and it was really sharp. I am fairly sure I read that this little guy will also work well on the d800??? (Long term dream ) Is this correct???

No.

The Nikkor AF-S 35/1.8 is a DX lens made for the smaller sensor DX cameras. The D800 is a full frame FX camera. It works well if you use it on FX cameras in DX crop mode but then its giving the same angle of view as a 50mm lens in FX full frame mode (aka the 35/1.8 DX no wide angle anymore).

If you use it on the D800 in FX mode as a true 35mm wide angle then the corners of the frame are black. I wouldn't rate that as 'work well' on D800...

This buisness of lens choosing is soooo complex!!!

A bit...

Just remember if a Nikkor lens has a DX designation it is not made to use on a full frame camera like the D700 or D800. It will mount and work ok but somewhere the combo is crippled.

But I think if you have great MP then sharper etc is better, for me anyway - (can always crop in a bit as the MP should take it).

More or less, yes.
--
Marc
http://marcschlueter.wordpress.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow