Consensus Realities - Cognitive Liberties

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
lester11
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: Consensus Realities - Tangible and Intangible
In reply to Detail Man, May 5, 2012

While awed by Whitehead's achievements, I'm underwhelmed (as might be expected) by his mysticism.

Detail Man wrote:

Knowledge is always accompanied with accessories of emotion and purpose .
- Alfred North Whitehead

[...] that which is communicated is inextricably intertwined with the perceived purpose(s) that such events are intended to serve ...

Indeed, and Whitehead does not express it strongly enough. Purpose is not an accessory to knowledge, but an essential. Given that the 16:05 is the express to London, this is knowledge if I am at the railway station intending to travel, but merely data (or possibly information) if I chance upon this fact while reading the Daily Mail at home.

Every philosophy is tinged with the coloring of some secret imaginative background, which never emerges explicitly into its trains of reasoning .
- Alfred North Whitehead

Certainly every philosophy is coloured with what we would now call its ideology. But to say this can never emerge explicitly is false. It becomes open to reason when we ask the right questions.

The utmost abstractions are the true weapons with which
to control our thought of concrete fact .
- Alfred North Whitehead

I like the way Kurt Lewin said it:
"There is nothing so practical as a good theory."

-- hide signature --

Lester

lester11's gear list:lester11's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow