What is this Technique Called? How is it Done?

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,395
Re: What is this Technique Called? How is it Done?
In reply to Zader, May 5, 2012

You're talking about a "wipe", where the border of the transition from one scene to moves horizontally across the screen. To do what you're describing you have to shoot similar objects crossing in front of the camera at the same apparent speed in both the long shot and the close-up, then use a wipe in the same direction as the moving object, timed to move at the same speed as the object. If the moving object fills the screen, has little discernible detail, and has the same exposure and colour balance in both shots, then the actual wipe transition can be pretty much invisible, particularly if the "edge" of the wipe is a gradual feathered gradient instead of a hard edge.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow