What you need versus what you want, and what you have.

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,555Gear list
Like?
Re: What you need versus what you want, and what you have.
In reply to ultimitsu, May 5, 2012

ultimitsu wrote:

David Hull wrote:

These scenarios tend to call for 400, 800, 1600. Now, perhaps I am old school but I have always thought that this was why they gave us an ISO dial.

they did so becasue for cameras with significant read noises need hardware amplification. but for a camera wth very low read noise and large DR in iso 100 (D800), you can indeed get away with using iso100 in shoots that would normally demand iso 800 (5D3).

Yes, you most certainly can, but you have to make an adjustment to your shooting paradigm to do that. Most people want to see what they got on the LCD display – it’s not truly necessary (we didn’t have it in the old film days) but in the modern “digital” era, we have all grown accustomed to it. BTW: Your Sony based camera also includes HW amplification, which is how the ISO works – why do you suppose that they bothered?

I have never needed more than a couple stops to do that. That’s just me, your needs may be different but I don’t think I am alone.

Just like Bill famously did not say - "no one needs more than 640K of RAM."

You are not alone indeed, Bob is with you on this one, a quick glance of his pbase gallery reveals tons of pictures with blown highlight, often in areas you would want detail. but who are we to judge how should he enjoy his images? He loves going around saying he never saw a need for more DR than his cameras had.

OK, I give up... who is bob?

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow