Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SamNC
Regular MemberPosts: 218
Like?
pulled trigger--85 f/1.8G
May 5, 2012

after much (and probably too much) deliberations, I ordered the 85 f/1.8G from 17th photo. They had it in stock, and given the difficulty to find it, I figured this was a sign i needed it.

I think I made the right choice. Although I wanted the pro-build quality of the f/1.4D, from what I heard, the bokeh of the f/1.8G is very close to the f/1.4D and the lens is better than the f/1.4D, both wide open, in the corners, even on DX. Although I will use the lens primary for portraits, it will also be a general short tele as well.

So, I am giving up the build quality (I enjoy shooting my pro 80-200 f/2.8 for the build quality and IQ) and the 2/3 stop (which I really dont need, as the D7000 is generally OK even with my f/2.8 zooms) and a small bokeh improvement, but i will gain $500, the ability to sell it probably at no loss should i not like the lens, and arguably better IQ.

Hopefully I will be happy with the f/1.8. I will definately compare it to the 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D. I think it will be a good fit for me and I am getting a nice collection of high end consumer f/1.8 lenses, being the 35 dx, 50 D and now 85. All I need now is a 200 f/2 [close enough to f/1.8 :)] and a wide angle f/1.8 and I will be set in f/1.8 land

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow