sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,128Gear list
Like?
Re: History not kind to those who stand still
In reply to Knight Palm, May 5, 2012

Knight Palm wrote:

• Panasonic LX5: 24-90mm equiv 1:2.0-3.3

• Olympus XZ-1: 28-112mm equiv 1:1.8-2.5

• Canon S100: 24-120mm equiv, F2.0-5.9; also a leader in this small camera class

• Canon G12: 28-140mm equiv 1:2.8-4.5

• Nikon P7100: 28-200mm equiv 1:2.8-5.6

The XZ-1 has one key or killer feature, and that's the bright 1:1.8 lens with i.Zuiko branding, which seems to rival larger sensor cameras kit lenses.

I seriously doubt any company would change the winning formula here. The lens certainly stays as is, but rather we'll see a CMOS sensor added, mainly in order to upgrade the video capabilities.

I disagree; history has not been kind to those who have stood still. I strongly feel 24mm equiv at f2 or lower on the wide end is the new standard they must match. On the long end it's a numbers game, with 120mm not being all that much different than 100mm. That being the case, I think many would be fine with the latter provided they keep it at f3 or lower and maintain the same stellar optical quality and compact lens size.

Perhaps they could also steal a page from the mFT 14-42 MkII and offer screw-on accessory lenses for macro and tele.

The competition is now also smaller and has much better video, while still maintaining 3" screens. I could see Olympus following this trend and adding the touch feature to their 3" OLED, as in the E-M5. I'd also be curious if they could apply some lessons from the E-M5's IBIS to allow for smooth zooming during video.

However, I could see a possibility to expand the XZ-portfolio with an XZ-10, with a wider lens, similar to the Panasonic one, but slower in order to maintain the pocketability. Using a 7x zoom lens like Nikon did, you lose the pocketability. Both these slower lenses would lose the i.Zuiko branding unfortunately.
Not of interest to me personally, too much of a compromise.

P.S. The price for the XZ-1 is down and makes it a very attractive buy. Maybe it's a sign of a replacement coming in the autumn?

From the same 43Rumors link in the comments:
Question: "Admin, do you know if the XZ-2 will be out before Photokina?"
Admin's answer: "YES!"

Quite emphatic, much more so than usual, and he's been on the money during the build-up to the E-M5.

Any improvement on the XZ-1 bears watching for anyone interested in cameras of any type. I accidentally started this thread here while in a rush to get to work, but maybe it belongs. I have Olympus DSLR's and an mFT (E-PM1), yet the XZ-1 always intrigued me with its intelligent sacrifice of high ISO quality for an incredibly fast and fine optic in its zoom combined with a 3" OLED. A true shooter's camera that can go anywhere without the fuss of changing lenses.

Count me as curious.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow