What is the best all around compact to carry?

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,872Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the best all around compact to carry?
In reply to hbauer, May 5, 2012

The most all around compact is the Panasonic FZ150. 25-600 mm f/2.8-5.2. A full set of controls, hot shoe, articulated 3" hi-res LCD, and a good grip. 52 mm filters screw directly onto the lens with no adapters. With an adapter you can use a tele extender. Excellent image quality and still quite good at ISO 1600.

But if that's too big and you wanr a pocketable camera, then the Canon S90/95/100 is the best choice. I still use the S90, and it fits comfortably in a shirt pocket or in a suit jacket or tux side pocket with no bulge.

In between re the Plympus XZ-1, the Panasonic ZS15, and the Canon SX260HS and a lot of other "travel zooms". In that group, I settled on the 2011 model, SX230HS. It's pocketable, good in low light, has a 28-392 mm (equivalent) lens and still has good image quality indoors at ISO 1600. THe Canon G series cameras also fit into this in-between range. I've owned the G5, G6, G7, G9, and G12, and Pro 1. Curently I use a G9. Solid build, hot shoe, and with really good lenses. I currently have the G9 (35-210 mm) and like it the best.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow