Question About Which Mode to Use

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 888Gear list
Like?
Re: Question About Which Mode to Use
In reply to Flying Fish, May 5, 2012

Thanks...and yes, given all of the advice I've received, I should have just done the shoot. Even in Manual mode at a high ISO, the shots (even with the noise) would have been okay for our company's intranet. Plus, in thinking about it, I probably could've taken everything home and reduced the noise in LR3 later that night and put the better images up on the site in a day or two.

No biggie...there will be other opportunities...thanks again!

Flying Fish wrote:

I would use Av in that--and almost any other--situation. I use manual when I want to emphasize some aspect of a scene by the exposure I choose, otherwise it's Av. I start with the lens wide open and go from there; if the shutter speed is too slow I up the ISO, if it's too fast I stop down or reduce the ISO or both; and so on and on. If the DOF is too low I reduce the aperture, and so on.

I suspect you and I woud end up in the same place much of the time, so it seems to me your question is whether you indeed shouldn't have done the shoot. You seem to think in retrospect that you should have, and so I agree. But both you, using manual, and I, using Av, have to decide what ISO to use, either directly or indirectly. Also aperture and shutter speed.

FF

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow