It pays to profile ACR for the E-M5

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,424
Like?
Comparing profiles
In reply to gollywop, May 5, 2012

I've now had a chance to experiment with the various profiles through a set of images taken so I could compare the developed image on the screen with the actual subject, thus allowing for some degree of meaningful comparison of color fidelity.

The major differences between the Adobe Standard (twisted or untwisted) and the custom profile are in the color primaries, Red, Green, and Blue. Virtually all the other colors (all the "everyday" non-primary, non-saturated colors) tend to be pretty much the same between the two profiles. The twisting of the Adobe Standard also messes things up in a number of circumstances, but this can be avoided by using an untwisted version.

I find that the largest difference is in the Red primary, particularly as it affects orange/red. The Adobe Standard tend to be too orange and the custom profile tends to be too red, and the pure reds tend to be slightly too saturated.

For Blue, the custom profile is clearly superior -- hue is okay for both, but the custom profile is better able to produce the appropriate color intensity (saturation) than the Adobe Standard.

For Green, the Adobe Standard tends to be too yellow, particularly in the greens of leaves, grasses, etc. Some people like a yellower grass color, and maybe this is the reason the profile tends in that direction. But the custom profile gives a truer green.

So, except for the red/orange, the custom profile appears to do better. The red/orange bias is readily corrected in ACR using the Red sliders in the Color Calibration pane. For my custom profile, a Red hue shift of +13 and a Red saturation shift of -12 pretty much makes things right. If you go this route, you'll clearly have to figure the various adjustments appropriate to your particular custom profile.
--
gollywop

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow