Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
penguy
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
Asking for help again, sony nexc3 or nikon d5100
May 4, 2012

Hello Dear Forum, here I am again, asking all sorts of stupid questions, I need help! I am not a photographer by any stretch, I love the blurred backgrounds and the sharp photos though. My only goal is to take pictures of my 2 month old son, now and as he grows, indoors, under available home light ( i use those energy saving lamps). I am trying to decide between 2 cameras at this point.

1. Sony NexC3 + Sony 50mm f/1.8 Mid-Range Lens for Sony E Mount Nex Cameras

2. Nikon D5100 + Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

From what I have read, I figured, I would need at least an APS-C size sensor, low noise under high ISO, and a fast lens. From my own experience, I have seen some sort of vibration reduction/compensation is pretty much a must for me, I intend to take pictures on demand hand held, so setting up a tripod is not really feasible for my situation. I was going for the F/1.4 Lens for Nikon, but it doesnt have VR. the sony a580 is another option since it has in body stabilization, but its a 2 year old model and looks like sony has made some drastic internal design changes in the successor models (a57, I think?) which is probably responsible for letting in 30% less light, and though dxomark doesnt have a test result for the a57 yet, the a55's high iso tolerance seems to be lower than both the d5100 and the nexc3. Hence the inclination towards the Nexc3, since it also allows me to get a f/1.8 lens with Stabilization. What do you recommend? oh, and also, I dont want to use flash, if at all possible. Thanks.

penguy's gear list:penguy's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Epson Artisan 710 +4 more
Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow