Next lens for T2i: Canon 17-55/2.8, Sigma 17-50/2.8, or Canon 28/1.8

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
William Woodruff
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 17-55/2.8 and family photos.
In reply to MikeMike1, May 4, 2012

Thought 1: Refurb 17-55's are $943 direct from Canon. I got my 70-200 as a refurb and can't tell it from new; from comments I have read, most folks feel the same way about the Canon refurbs (and my guess is that they have better QC leaving the shop that factory new lenses have."

Thought 2: From what I have read, the Sigma sounds like a great lens. From what I have read (and from my own use) the 17-55 is just a little bit better. It just works really well, it is sharp across the frame right from 2.8. And it feels really well built to me, although apparently some disagree.

Thought 3: I don't get the thing about "primes make you a better photographer," or "you can always zoom with your feet." Honestly, the "better photographer" part just sounds silly to me, and the "zoom with your feet" part is just wrong.

First of all, a zoom lens gives you more creative possibilities, and it gives you the opportunity to explore them quickly and easily. That, to me, gives you much more opportunity to become a better photographer quickly than a whole bag full of primes. Primes are great if you have a special need, and you know exactly what you want; otherwise, a high-quality zoom just makes more sense to me on all counts.

Secondly, and perhap more important, there is really no such thing as "zooming with your feet." If you are using a prime (or maintain the same focal length on a zoom) you can move forward or backwards to change the way you frame a scene, but the perspective will remain the same. If you change focal lengths (by swapping primes, or by zooming in or out with a zoom lens) you change the perspective of your scene. Sure, if you stand in the same place, you will also change the way the scene is framed, but that is a wholly different thing. So, for example, suppose that you first shoot a scene with your zoom lens set at 20 mm; if you then zoom in to 30 mm, and then back up to the point where your primary subject is framed exactly the same way, you will be taking a completely different photograph, because the relationship of everything else in the frame has now changed relativel to your primary subject.

-- hide signature --

WLW

William Woodruff's gear list:William Woodruff's gear list
Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow