D800 HANG "What" SD cards are you using ?

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,706Gear list
Like?
Dominique, REAL FIX to come :)
In reply to Dominique Dierick, May 4, 2012

Dominique,

Interesting.
Have not gone over say 400 shots with this config yet.

But, I will ... in a few weeks. Shooting JPGs on a variaty of slower 2gb CF cards. My guess aprox. 1,000 shots per card , probably over 3,000 for the day.

Will use CF as my main ... and keep the SD Sandisk 95mb/s as my backup (my current one, will not exchange just yet) ... and see if this works. My guess if anything is still a problem it will show up on this day.

p.s. have to admit , even my hangs with my original set up ... SD main , CF backup ... the issue was not consistant. Could be 200th shot , or 300 , or over 500 ... not sure. When it hung , honestly I was not looking at the shot count. I was trying to get the battery OUT and back in as soon as possable. lol

And YES, will be looking forward to the FW update ... So, I can use any cards ... in any config.

Guess with the DPR home page news , the FIX is comming ... Now "that" is good news! (some see D800 problems, I see Solutions to come ... Not that the D800 is bad "as is" ... Someone will have to pry it from my dead photog hands to get me to return it to Nikon lol)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/04/Nikon-tells-PDN-it-is-looking-at-D4-D800-lockup-bug

HG

Dominique Dierick wrote:

And I did get lockups every now and then. But not every 200-300, perhaps every 500 or so. Had no issues anymore with a slower card, until today, one freeze. So even slower, smaller cards are not entirely trouble free. The good thing is that Nikon is working on it

From my software days, I think they really have a race condition in their firmware, causing intermittent errors. Difficult to troubleshoot, but once found, likely an easy fix like in 'OMG, look what we did here with this async write return value ;)'

-- hide signature --

Nikon NPS
Nikon D3s, D800, EOS 450D IR modified

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow