Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,542Gear list
Like?
Re: Full stops, camera
In reply to rsn48, May 4, 2012

+1

rsn48 wrote:

The function of stops is in the camera, you can set it for 1/3 or 1/2 stops, the lens just does what the camera tells it to do. There is no lens that will only work at full stops, or maybe I have misunderstood your question.

Macro's in the 50 and 60mm focal lengths will be sharper than the same lens that isn't macro. Macro's have to be sharper, one of their defining characteristics, but they are "slower," not a big deal if you don't need a faster lens; a big deal if you need faster lenses.

I writing this for others who are reading this thread. Some don't appreciate that a lens really is designed for a "general" purpose. My Sigma 50 is designed to be an excellent low light lens, my Canon 50mm f1.8 is designed to be optimal at f8 or f11, not low light - though of course it can be used in low light conditions. The Canon 50mm with reversing tube can make an amazingly good macro lens, but of course not as good as the 60mm macro.

Also, this took me a while to learn and you will read this from time to time here in dpreview and its so true, but IQ is also determined by contrast and colour saturation, there is more to a lens than sharpness.

For me, if I were shooting children indoors, I'd definitely want a fast lens, when shooting flowers outdoors, I'd prefer a sharper and probably slower lens, but the lens speed wouldn't be that important because I would be shooting during the day probably using a tripod, maybe a monopod.
--
"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow