How much to charge?

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
AvyMan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,230
Like?
Re: How much to charge?
In reply to Stu Brennan, May 4, 2012

So far I haven't charged for my photos.

I was invited to a spring branding last year so I turned it into an all-day photo shoot to document ranch life. This was more for personal interest, practice, and for my own photo collections. I ended up doing a lot of PP, making disks for the ranch manager and anyone who he wanted to give copies to. The only thing I did was make a few privacy stipulations. The satisfaction of giving, making friends, and getting some exposure for maybe compensation in the future (other local ranches) was enough for me. Got invited to come back again at the end of this month which was cool in itself.

I won a contest for a non-profit chamber music organization's posters and brochures. It was for a specific theme (alpenglow) and I gave them examples how the photo would fit with their required text. They liked it so well they discontinued the annual contest and have been using my photo ever since. Again, personal satisfaction (and free concert tickets :)) was the real reward.

Another contest, two photos chosen for a calendar. The reward was personal satisfaction and exposure.

Don't get me wrong. I could sure use some extra money. But then it becomes "work," more expectations/demands from the client since they're paying for a product. So I'm just keeping it fun...for now.

One other thing to think about. With mounting value in camera equipment I called my insurance company to make sure it would all be covered, just in case something happened to it. Their first question was "Is it being used professionally?" If not, it's covered under the normal homeowners policy. I'd have to pay more if they knew I was selling my photos.

Using your photos for a book is surely different. They will make a profit, hopefully. You should come out with something for your contribution too. Follow your heart, and, of course, wallet We all have different requirements.

Nick
--
photography -- a compatible blend of tech and art --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow