Critique My Kit

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Weathered
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't buy.....
In reply to rsn48, May 4, 2012

rsn48 wrote:

I own both cropped and full sensor (5D 2) and I can tell you a 50mm on a cropped sensor is a different beast than on full frame. I forgot this fact and took my Sigma 50 out shooting on my Xsi (450D) and it was too long, I was used to using the 50 on my 5D 2.

I also second the Sigma 150, I have the non-OS version and love the lens; it has a better working distance than the 100mm. If you are used to using a 100 macro on a crop sensor, you have really been using the equivalent of a 160mm lens, more like a Sigma 150 on a full frame.

So you can see, you might be better off to curb your enthusiasm and use your 5D 2 and a couple of lens before you make your next purchases.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

Awesome point. I am not a fan of the 50 on a cropped body - that's my least-used focal length. I found myself using my 60 more often, which on the Nikon crop, is a 90 equivalent. I'm thinking that the two lenses that will get me the most use would be the 17-40 and the 85/1.8. Wide and speed - pretty much my MO.

Weathered's gear list:Weathered's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow